Apologies in advance for what looks like a book in terms of length – we are passing along a few details of some upcoming charity events.
In today’s announcement:
- Greg’s Ride – Ride Promotion and Call for Volunteers
- Power of 10 – Spots still open for ‘Team OCC’
- Ride Time Changes Coming Soon
- Road Closure: 6th Line from 16 Mile Drive to Burnamthorpe
- OCC Photo Shoot Night: Tuesday September 13th
- Alternate Start Location: Sunday September 11th (Groups 1 and 2 only)
Greg’s Ride – Ride Promotion and Call for Volunteers
We’ve been approached by Greg’s Ride to promote the event and to recruit volunteers to help support this great initiative. Please see details below if you are interested in participating in the event or can assist with the running of it:
11th Annual Greg’s Ride - Ontario’s Ride for Safer Cycling
- Register now! www.sharetheroad.ca/gregsride
- Greg's Ride is a celebration of cycling and a fundraiser for Share the Road's advocacy work. 100% of the proceeds from this ride go towards our efforts to build a province where:
- Everyone feels safe making the choice to ride a bike
- Every student participates in a cycling safety course
- Communities are connected by a network of cycle tracks, bike lanes and paved shoulders
- We want to see you there!
- Event Details
- Date: Sunday, September 25
- Location: Mohawk Inn and Conference Centre, Milton
- Three distances to choose from: 15km, 60km and 98km.
- Registration includes: hot lunch, Steamwhistle beer, swag bag, ride support, snack stations and post-ride yoga.
- The OCC Discount Code to save 20% off registration is 20OakvilleCC16
Call for Volunteers: Greg’s Ride – Ontario’s Ride for Safer Cycling
Greg’s Ride: Ontario’s Ride for Safer Cycling is taking place at the Mohawk Inn and Conference Centre in Milton on Sunday, 25 September. 100% of the profits from this event go to Share the Road’s advocacy work to make Ontario a safer place for people to ride their bikes.
And we need awesome volunteers like YOU to help us make this fantastic event happen!
There are opportunities to help us both leading up to, and on the day of the event (specific timings to be confirmed – all opportunities take place in Halton Region):
- Set Up Volunteer | Saturday, September 24 (12pm – 7pm)
- Greg’s Ride Event Volunteer | Sunday, September 25 (7.00am– 5pm)
- PwC Epic Tour Halton Pit Stop Volunteer | Sunday, September 11, (9.45am - 4.00pm)
Apply to Volunteer HERE
Power of 10: Spots still open for ‘Team OCC’
We are still looking for a few ,more members to join Team OCC to ride against the clock on spin bikes at the Milton Velodrome, supporting The Lighthouse for Grieving Children.
Lighthouse provides peer support to children, teens and their families after a death in the family. All their services are free, and they rely on charitable donations.
This is a grass roots, community event, that aims to raise the profile of Lighthouse, make new connections and bring the cycling community together for an amazing local charity. It’s 100 % volunteer driven and thanks to sponsors, all registration money will reach Lighthouse. Event details:
- Friday October 14th, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m.
- 100 minutes, teams of 10, cycling together to reach 1000 community kms.
- Team and individual sprint and distance prizes!
- Party atmosphere and generous hospitality guaranteed.
As a reminder, there is no cost to members or fundraising requirement for this as the club is covering the registration fee – we just need your legs and enthusiasm!
Please reply to this email if you wish to participate
Ride Time changes coming soon – stay tuned to ride announcements for more details
With shortening of daylight in the evening we will soon be moving up the start times of our weekday rides; while we recognize that earlier times can present challenges to members showing up on time, the rides will get too short if we leave the start times as is. We will be working with the scheduled Ride Leaders to confirm that we have suitable coverage – we expect the changes to be implemented in next 1-2 weeks and will be communicated in our ride announcements.
Road Closure: 6th Line between 16 Mile Drive and Burnamthorpe
For those in the east end of Oakville, you’ve likely noticed that lights and single lane traffic between Dundas and Burnamthorpe through the summer. We have been advised that starting September 7th, 6th Line will be closed from 16 Mile Drive to Burnamthorpe; there is a bypass around this by taking 16 Mile Drive west where you can hook up with Neyagawa Blvd.
Note to Munn’s Riders: we will continue to meet at Munn’s Church for rides and do the detour; if this becomes too congested, we may look for an alternate start location on a temporary basis.
OCC Ride Photo Shoot – Tuesday September 13th
On Tuesday September 13th, one of our members (Rick Higgins) will travel around the scheduled ride routes to get some action shots of some of our rides to post to the website / Facebook, etc.
For privacy reasons, we recognize that not everyone would like to have their photos taken. If this applies to you, please respond to this email indicating your preference to not have your photo taken, along with your typical riding group and we can work to exclude these from being published.
Thanks to Rick for offering to do this!
Alternate Start Locations – Sunday September 11th (Groups 1 and 2 only):
The scheduled Ride Leaders for these groups are making plans to start the OCC rides from different locations within the Oakville / Burlington area to travel some different roads for a change. Watch for ride announcements next week for more details.
Have a great long weekend!