With the first rides of the season under our helmets, a few items I wanted to bring to attention this week:
- Tips for New Riders
- Halton Region Centre Waiver
Safety is going to be a big focus for the club executive and ride leaders this year. We want everyone to have fun out there, get some exercise and enjoy the company of your fellow club members.
We also want to make sure new riders learn good group riding habits and show progress in learning these skills. We're all in this together, helping each other learn and ensuring that all of our rides operate in a safe manner.
That said, if riders are continually breaking rules or riding etiquette, even after being told this is not acceptable we, the club executive, will need to take some sort of action. We cannot jeopardize the safety of the group if one rider is continually behaving poorly and causing safety issues for other riders. Or themselves, for that matter.
We encourage everyone to give the riding etiquette guide another read. When signing up for club membership this year, you have attested to the fact that you read and understood this document: http://www.oakvillecc.com/images/road%20bike%20etiquette%201st%20edition.pdf Please give it another read to ensure you fully understand what is expected of you on a group ride. If you have any questions, feel free to ask any of the executive or ride leaders.
We have a couple of deadlines approaching quickly.
A quick reminder to all of you on this distribution list that have not renewed your membership for 2015, we will be closing membership on May 8th at 11:59 PM.
You can renew your membership here: https://ccnbikes.com/#!/events/2015-oakville-cycling-club-membership
The other deadline is for clothing through Garneau's Pick-Pay-Ride system. I have requested Garneau to keep the clothing order open until the same date and time as the membership - May 8th at 11:59 PM.
Garneau's Pick-Pay-Ride system can be found here: https://ppr.louisgarneau.com/OakvilleCC_5LG0606
Finally, any in-stock clothing (limited selection and quantities) can be purchased through our store at CCN Bikes: https://ccnbikes.com/#!/events/2015-oakville-cycling-club-membership/store
For those of you that have ordered clothing through Garneau Pick-Pay-Ride, we anticipate clothing to arrive about 6 weeks after the clothing order closes. (ie. May 8th + 6 weeks works out to around June 22nd.)
Tips for New Riders
After observing some of the riding on today's ride, some tips for people new to group riding:
- "Car Back" - warns riders in front that there is a car approaching from the rear and to single-up or move over to allow the car to safely pass.
- "Car Up" - warns the group that there is a car approaching from the front. This is especially important on hilly or winding roads where visibility is limited.
- "Single Up" - tells the group that riders need to be in single file.
- "Car Left or Right" - warning riders at intersections that a car is approaching and might cross the path.
- "Walker or Runner Up" - warning riders that there is a pedestrian on the group's side of the road
- "Tracks" - warns of railroad tracks
- "Road Kill" - kind of an obvious one
- "Hole(s)" - warning riders about dangerous (read: can cause damage or an accident) breaks in pavement. Riders can sometimes point instead of/in addition to calling the hazard, especially on roads with lots of holes.
- "Slowing" or "Stopping" - warns riders about a change in speed. Can be done with a hand signal, but calling this is helpful, especially if a sudden/unexpected stop.
- "On Your Left or Right" - warning riders that you are passing. Riders should always pass on the left, but if forced to pass on the right (to avoid a dangerous situation, for example) it should always be announced.
More etiquette and tips can be found at the following page: http://www.oakvillecc.com/index.php/member-resources/group-ride-etiquette
Halton Region Centre Waiver
Any riders who plan to ride recreational through group 4 rides at Halton Region Centre on Sunday mornings need to sign the waiver attached to Sunday's e-mail and return it to the club executive. If you need a copy, please contact us.
The region has requested these waivers in exchange for the club using their parking lot on Sunday mornings.
We will continue with recreational through group 4 rides at 407/Appleby for another two weeks. We are hoping to have the waivers collected by that point.